Translate

16 April 2015

My New Job

I was asked "what is your job at the college?" by one of my lovely readers, so I decided to do a post about my job - and some of the cool things I have done since working here!

My official title is "Veteran's Counselor."  I work with student veterans and family members of veterans (dependents) and help them with mental health counseling/art therapy/social services.  So, I do individual counseling, group psychoeducation (classes about mental health topics) and a lot of referrals to other community services.

I also work with the school and help them with school wide events.  I helped with a recent job fair that we had.  I helped out when we had Women in Technology Day.  Future and current women students were invited to network and learn about different fields.  I led a discussion about what it is like to be a woman in a traditionally male field.  Here are some pictures from the event:
Welding
Students from the Lineman program demonstrate what they do! 
A female student from another campus tries out what the lineman demonstrated

And I had a table at our health fair.  I did a mural about self-care (mental, emotionally, physically or spiritually) and had information about veterans services at the school and in the community.


Overall I really like working here.  Most of the people here are super nice - and a most have been working here for quite a while.  What I like most is helping the students!!  If you have any other questions, I would love to answer them, so ask away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment